Saturday, December 6, 2014

ONE DISH Southwestern Casserole!!!

Hey!

Now I haven't really posted anything like this before... I don't think lol. But this casserole was a HIT with my little family with everyone enjoying it, so I figured I would share it and whatnot. I even have pictures!! 

So I was looking for recipes to try out as my very first casserole, and found this one on pinterest from this blog here, and I was so intrigued because my Hubs is on the road delivering and needs more than just sandwiches to keep up his strength in those biceps haha.. Anyway, a one dish meal sounded AMAZING and so I gave it a shot! 

I will be including pictures with instructions. Just to make you hungry......jk....but really...

First, you need 1 (15oz) can of black beans, corn (frozen or canned), 1 (16oz) jar of salsa, I used mild, and 1 cup of uncooked rice, I used whole grain, and some chicken.

The recipe that I got this from used a few other ingredients, but being all frugal and whatnot (read: didn't want to buy it all) I just used the main necessities. 

Then you put it together like this!!! I tried to get all fancy shmancy with the picture.

Anyway, the recipe calls for about 1 cup of corn, but my family REALLY loves corn so I just added a bunch... 

So you put in the corn, beans, uncooked rice, and salsa. 

Add seasonings if so desired. I added some spices the first time around and used diced tomatoes instead of salsa. It turned out fine, but I've been making this casserole with just salsa and no seasonings recently and it's been great so, personally I really only add some pepper now because I feel that the salsa adds a lot and there is so much sodium in the canned goods already, but it's totally up to you. 

If you wanted to know, I used cajun spice, salt, pepper, and parsley for seasoning the first time around.

OH! don't forget to mix in the chicken. You can put in whole breasts and push them into the casserole or I used canned chicken. I just mixed it in with everything else. 

Bake at 375 degrees for an hour, then take out and check the rice.. or if you're like me, top with cheese, forget the rice, and bake for another 10 minutes. =]

Then Voila!!! Your one dish meal is all ready to be eaten!!! Lily enjoyed this a lot and we just topped it off with some more cheese and taco sauce haha because we are serious about our toppings.


AND TADA!!! Here is the finished product, cheese and all.. SOOO. GOOOD....So I hope y'all enjoy this as much as I did and remember that you can catch the original recipe from this awesome blog




Ok!

Well from my kitchen to yours.

Xoxo,

Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment