Friday, May 9, 2014

My Paleo Lifestyle Change

So I've been trying to think of a way to start this post without making it seem like I'm joining a fad.

Because I promise I haven't.

What I did do though, was take the advice of my lovely sister-in-law and I know I won't turn back.

So let me start at the beginning. I have always felt bloated and more often than not headaches, fatigue, and low energy accompany it. I never caught on though, that this is not how it's supposed to be. The rest of the world does not always feel like this.

This was news to me!

So shortly after my sister-in-law and her fiancé Pete started a paleo 30 day challenge, she gave me some advice. She said that for her, being paleo has made her feel so much better than she ever has and even though the 30 day challenge was almost up, she and her almost hubs will continue to do paleo anyway. This is where she told me that I should give it a try.

How could I say no? After just finding out that the rest of the world doesn't feel bloated all the time??

So I jumped in head first. I went and bought a bunch of veggies and a bit of fruit. Luckily I didn't need to buy very much meat at all because we have been blessed by some family friends in Pa who hunt.

Anyway, I learned from Jenna and from my awesome Mother-in-law how to cook up some veggies and away I went. I overhauled my entire diet that day. Here's what my typical day of meals looks like:

What I Eat:


Breakfast: 2 eggs with some sort of pan fried veggie and a strawberry or two

Lunch: Some sort of meat (usually chicken) with a good portion of asparagus or zucchini (or both) and another strawberry or two.

Dinner: Usually this is a heavy meal because Matthew works really, really hard during the day so I try to make something that is filling for him to replenish all the calories and carbs his body needs. So lately it's been a slow cooked rack of barbecue ribs with a batch of pan fried asparagus and zucchini or sweet potato and a salad on the side.

Anyway, I have been eating this way for two weeks today, and I can honestly say that I have never felt better in my life and I'm not exaggerating. I honestly believe that I may have some sort of intolerance to grain or gluten maybe? Because a week into this new lifestyle, I ran out of chicken and made a sandwich for lunch. I'm talking, turkey with tomato, spinach, cheese, olive oil Mayo and on my favorite Aldi's 12 Grain bread.

SOOOOO GOOOOOD!!!!!

Anyway, I got sick. Boo!! I was bloated, got a nasty headache, and I felt like the 2:30 slump was All. Day. Long.

So needless to say, I am staying away from grains for a while and sticking with this paleo lifestyle. I did manage to lose at least 7 pounds in 10 days.

Did I forget to mention that? Yeah. 7 pounds, 10 days. I have stayed at the same weight since I delivered our beautiful baby girl last June. My body stays within a two pound radius and hasn't moved out of that for nearly a year. It didn't matter what I did, I wouldn't budge. Nursing didn't take the weight off magically like everyone said that it would.

But changing my diet? I knew that eating right was important, but really? I feel better than I ever have and I manage to lose weight?!?! I am beyond excited!!!

(On a side note, Matt and I got a new mattress today!! Woot Woot!! Our other one had a serious defect  so pardon the random mattress in the back of the picture, but see Lily?!?! She totally photobombed me in this picture hahaha but she's so adorable that I don't mind........And back to your regularly scheduled program.....)




But can I be honest for a bit?

Confessional Time... I'm not a strict paleo person.

I believe that you take it in stride, learn the ropes, and find your own shade of Paleo eating.

Because honestly, what works for me might not work for you! I love fruit, so I tend to have a bit more fruit than they recommend, and I still use condiments. I drink almond milk, and sometimes I put hershey's syrup in there when I am craving chocolate milk. Not often, but it happens.

Some people are cool trying to replicate grains by using almond flour and whatnot. I don't see the need...for me, this is a lifestyle change and I don't need any more tempting morsels floating in my kitchen than there already are.

So before y'all get on me about trying out the latest fad or just hoppin on the bandwagon, or someone throttles me because I'm not strict.

I think that everyone needs to find what works for their body, and for me.. this is it.

Xoxo,

Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment